In the mood for comfort food now the weather has cooled? We know the feeling...
We asked Mandy Sacher from The Wholesome Child to share her favourite healthy mac and cheese recipe with us.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Place cauliflower in a food processor and process until it reaches a rice-like consistency.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan and saute cauliflower and zucchini for about 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan, warm ½ cup of milk.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining milk and the flour until there are no lumps. Then whisk in this mixture into the warm milk. Continue whisking gently until the milk thickens to the consistency of heavy cream.
- Mix cheese, chia seeds, sauteed cauliflower and zucchini into the milk-flour mixture and season with salt and pepper. For a smoother consistency, you can process using a hand-held blender.
- Place the pasta in a casserole dish and pour the cheese and veggie sauce over it. Sprinkle with paprika powder and grated cheese (optional) and bake in the oven for 30 mins until the top is golden.
Serving and storing leftovers: Serve immediately. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 4 months. Tip: For a school-friendly treat, place mixture in mini muffin holders and bake for approximately 25 mins to create mini mac ‘n cheese muffins.